fell on LE leg, now hurts.....

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

fell on LE leg, now hurts.....

Postby SteveB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi guys.
Yes, it's me, and yes... it's been a really...... long time since I was here last.
Last night I was doing something fairly stupid for someone in his late 40's, and now I'm paying for it.
I have a young teenager boy that I mentor, and last night he wanted to take me skateboarding at our local skateboarding park. While I wasn't attemtping any real "tricks" as they call them today, I was just trying to "reacquaint" my self with a toy I hadn't used in over 33 years. Twice I hit the concrete. The second time was pretty hard, and I got a raspberry on my left elbow. I also hit my left knee (LE leg) when I went down.
I was able to get up and walk it off, and I was in fact wearing full-length blujeans and my compression garment.
OVerall I didn't figure it'd be this painful. I guess I was wrong. :oops:
Ok, y'all can start laughing your tails off.
My leg is now hurting like the dickens, and as I haven't done the skateboarding thing in a really, really, really.............. long time, I figure that most of it is just pain from not having fallen like that since I was 15-16 years old-- 20+ years PRIOR to LE issues.... :(
While the knee is indeed tender, there are no obvious, external injuries.
Has anyone faced anything like this before? If so, any thoughts?
If not-- aside from the "stay off the skateboard" comments-- any ideas?
your thoughts are appreciated..... just try to avoid the peanut gallery comments.

------------------
Just checked my leg in the bathroom. No obvious injuries save a small "carpet-burn" like rash where I hit the concrete. It just hurts like hades, and I'm limping again like I was 12 years ago after my cancer surgery that caused the LE to begin with.
The pain is focused in the upper thigh, and near the pelvis.
---------------

Thanks.
SteveB.
Been 5 yrs, 8 months since my last cancer recurrence..... :D
SteveB

Re: fell on LE leg, now hurts.....

Postby SteveB » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:24 pm

well, as there are no responses, I'm guessing this did little more than to give the readers a good laugh. :shock: :shock: :shock:
All's well now. 8) 8) 8)

Saw a doctor that afternoon due to the pain increasing exponentially at a certain point to where I could no longer walk, and was using cabinets, etc... to just be mobile.
The doctor had the local alchemist/pharmacist who does compounds, make me up a cocktail salve to rub on it. Did wonders. I'll be keeping that stuff around a long while.
Moral of the story is-- make sure if you haven't gone skateboarding in 30+ years, no thinking you remember how the darn things work.... they're better, faster, meaner, and far more advanced than back when.....
Wait... didn't the 6 million dollar man have something like that.....
SteveB

Postby cleo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:16 am

I'll answer Steve!! If it stays painful, get an xray. After advice from Pat I went to get what I thought was an old sports injury seen to. Couldn't walk up or down a slope...had to search out the walking stick from cancer op days...I'd actually damaged a cartilage, probably from scaling a steep bank when I'm old enought to know better!!
The only thought I had...are you near water? Surfing's safer!!
Cleo
cleo

Postby patoco » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:52 am

Hey Steve

Really sorry that your original post didn't get answered. I've been trying to be sure and check everything.

I gotta say you have more nerve then I do. LOL....I'm too chicken to try skateboarding. Just glad you didn't break a bone either. The obly other thing is to be sure any skin breaks are well cleaned and bandaged to avoid infection.

Pain that bad though is also indicative of something wrong, they did check everything out thoroughly, didn't they?

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby SteveB » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Morning Cleo, Pat.
Surfing..... nope, no oceans around here (closest one is 260 miles to the west). Closest thing we'd have would be water skiing-- and that's definitely NOT safer.
While it was never my intention to fall, with skateboarding it's inevitable. The kids I saw were falling quite regularly. Although, somehow I don't remember it looking quite so bad.

As stated, I did go see my doctor-- I've had to teach them about LE, let them read my Foldi copy of the LE Textbook, and now if they run across it in another patient, they've actually called me to ask what to tell that patient.....
Indeed a bit spooky, but it's nice to know that my experiences can benefit others.
The doctor, well, actually Physician's Assistant (PA), said based on her findings, and initial discussion with me that it sounded more like a basic muscular strain injury. Hence the human version of horse liniment.
I was able to take my normal walks yesterday morning with no residue pain. Now my leg feels all but back to 100% of "normal" and no bruising, no scars, no scratches-- aside from the mild raspberry (looked more like a mild carpet burn) on my knee/upper shin from where I hit with the first fall.
I think what happened was that I fell real hard on the left side-- my LE leg-- and aside from having the begeezus squeezed out of it when I went down, I also hit part of my thighbone on the concrete. While I've had these kinds of injuries before, it was more than 30 years ago- long before my cancer initial surgery-- 12 years ago-- that caused the LE to begin with.

Being 49 and falling like that isn't the same as being 14 and falling like that. At 14 it's a lot easier to shake it off.
So, while I may continue my skateboarding escapades, it'll be with far greater attention to what I do. Those things are far more advanced than what I had back in 1974. And now I'm armed with human liniments....... Somehow that just doesn't sound smart......
It was fun though-- until I fell.
Thanks for your responses.....
SteveB

Postby patoco » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Really glad to hear that Steve..I was wondering after reading your post.

Watch out for the horse linament..don't let anyone "nag" you :D

I know what you mean, for me at 56 the bruises and scrapes come a lot quicker. I had to finally give up some of my crazy activities.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby SteveB » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:57 pm

patoco wrote:Really glad to hear that Steve..I was wondering after reading your post.

me too.....

patoco wrote: Watch out for the horse linament..don't let anyone "nag" you :D

ney.......

patoco wrote:I know what you mean, for me at 56 the bruises and scrapes come a lot quicker. I had to finally give up some of my crazy activities.

Pat

That's been part of my problem. Too many of my favorites has been given up on.
My most favorite of all is just taking off at a moment's notice, and going for 5 to 12 mile hikes without thought for the important stuff.....
SteveB

Postby cleo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Steve, Glad that all is well. I am not going to say a word about boys and toys etc but my only thought here is for a strategically placed cushion on the as-pect.
And the walking etc...go for it...life is for dancing, enjoy!
Cleo
cleo

Return to Leg Lymphedema