A New Twist on Lymphedema?

HOSPICE, genetics clinic, leaking legs, EMG, nerve conductions, phantom liquid feeling, chronic fatigue, chills, malaise, ankle pain, swollen feet, transient lymphedema, full body lymphedema, tissue hardness, dystonia, painful boil

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

A New Twist on Lymphedema?

Postby MaureenKennedy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:52 pm

I have posted before how I twisted my ankle for the second time in 5 months, in Sept 2005 and how the ankle and leg swelled up and was finally diagnosed with lymphedema in 12/2005.

Well in November 2006 I was told I have lung cancer, and as of 12/2 the doctor says I have tumor and metastisied to lymph glands in the middle of my chest. This odyssey started late 12/2005 with pneumonia with some blood in sputum. Xray showed one spot on lungs. CT scan showed liquid effusions (no tumor masses) so antibiotics ordered and spot on lung decreased in size. So it was assumed the spot was scar tissue from pneumonia. Every three months I have had CT scan, and was NEVER told that a second spot on lungs was noticed and that they werre "tracking" it. In July 2006 I had blood clots discovered in the left leg where lymphedema first started up, but still had lymphedema after being started on blood thinnners. Well CT scan of 10/27 showed it had enlarged, and bronchospy showed it as non-small cell cancer. On 12/2 cancer doctor says it's inoperable (stage 3) because of the placement of the second tumor behind heart and in front of spine. The scar tissue is still scar tissue as confirmed by PET scan.

I was just curious if any one else had lymphedema start BEFORE diagnosis of Cancer. The timing of everything just seems to point to some connection?
MaureenKennedy

Postby patoco » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Hi Maureen

First, I really want to apologize that no one has responded to your question before now.

I just got home afte spending 40 days in2 hospitals and I wasn't able to keep as close of track on everything as I usually do.

Absolutely, yes to your questions about having lymphedema manifest itself BEFORE an actual diagnosis of cancer is achieved or given.

There are a number of medical writings that indicate when a person presents with unknown/new lymphedema that the patient should be tested for the possibility of occult (hidden) cancer.

If cancer spread to the lymphatic system and actually "clogs" it up, then lymphedema can be a result.

Even in my situation as a primary, I never had arm lymphedema until the lymphoma spread throughout the lymph system .

Are you going to have chemo? What other types of treatments have the docs brought up.

Just remember, my prayers and thoughts are with you!!!!!

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Hello

Postby lleggs1371 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:46 am

I have primary LE and I have had it for 28 years. No cancer has been detected and no problems with my thyroids have been detected; I am truly fortunate and blessed. Please keepn your head up.
lleggs1371

Return to Lymphedema Personal stories