Something optimistic

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Something optimistic

Postby Dosia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:56 pm

I am happy that I have found this forum. I live with my lymphedema already for 27 years and I never meet any other women or men with that ilness. I was very lonely with that problem...

But I want to say something optymistic to very young people: my lymphedemia started, when I was 17-teen. It didn't ruin my life. I have two wonderfull sons and loving husband. And still I can controll my feets not to grow too much :D .
Dosia

Re: Something optimistic

Postby patoco » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 am

Hi Dosia

Special welcome to our family here!

Thank you too for this post. I too have had a good life, done so many things and not only have two lovely children, but also a fantastic little grandson. :D

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby blubrdfrend » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Dosia and Pat,

I am also an optimistic person. When I married the first time my Lymphedema was just beginning. I was widowed after 12 years. I had two small children and a huge leg. I really never expected to remarry. I was still able to walk and do most activities. I met my second husband at work. We had been married 14 years when he died. By this time I was 50 years old widowed twice. Who would have the courage to marry me now? Well after the death of my second husband I received a call from a man I had worked with years before. We dated and I explained very early about my condition and told him that I thought it would become much worse as time passed. He did not care. There are people who love you for your personality and the values that make you. If a man is interested in beautiful arms and legs, the love and admiration will not last. I am not a beautiful woman and I certainly do not have a beautiful body. I am not able to stand or walk much now. My husband accepted me just as I am. We have been married 14 years. I never expected to be this happy and content. Between us we have 4 children and 5 grandchildren. I am grateful each day for my life.

If you are a young person with Lymphedema do not pray that someone will choose you in spite of your condition. You pray that you will choose someone that will love you because you are special and can add happiness to their life.
Betty
blubrdfrend

Postby Dosia » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:03 am

Dear Betty, your story is so beautiful.

It remained me the day, when the doctor told me, that I will never be healty again - and my legs will be worse and worse. I was 17-teen, the doctor was in other town, so I was there alone. I cried all the way back, I thought, that my life is ruined. When I went back to my home and told my parents about it, my father said somenthing like that : "Shame on you, people are much worse diseases and do not break down. You can walk, you can work, you do not have terrible pain - you can live normally. Actually, you should be glad, because if you marry, your husband will surely be a valuable man." I was very angry at my father that he wasn't understand me, but now I know his words were very wise and fulfilled :D .
Dosia

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Dosia
You were certainly entitled to be upset with the news the doctor gave you at 17 years of age! He was wrong, lymphedema doesn't mean that you can never be healthy again. Shame on that ignorant doctor. Lymphedema can make life more challenging but you can still have a happy and fulfilled life as you have learned.
Your father is a wise man but you were too young to appreciate his wisdom at the time. Now you know that he was right. We hope to continue to hear from you often, Welcome to you once again!

Joanne
joanne johnson

Postby Scicchi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Very inspiring. Thank you very much!
Scicchi

Return to Welcome Family